24x zoom Traveller compact in a class of its own SZ-31MR movie marvel gets iHS & high-res Touch LCD
08-02-2012 • High-powered & high-tech – Olympus’ recording-breaking SZ flagship zooms further ahead Olympus’ last ‘Super Zoom’ flagship achieved a rare feat: packing three record-breaking features into a single, super-compact and lightweight camera. The achievements of its successor are even more impressive. The new SZ-31MR still has the lightest, smallest (and cutest) body of any compact with a 20-plus optical zoom. It still records the best quality moving pictures of any pocket-sized camera today. And the SZ Traveller range remains the first to capture 1080 Full HD movies and 16-Megapixel stills simultaneously, using Olympus’ revolutionary Multi Recording (MR) technology. But the new Traveller flagship is also a fireworks display of Olympus’ latest innovations. The AF is faster, the LCD is brighter and – thanks to new touch sensitivity – ingenious features like Multi Framing and Live Guide are even easier to use. The powerful new iHS (Intelligence, High Sensitivity and High Speed) technologies make it possible to capture excellent images in the most challenging conditions, for example in low light or with backlight. What’s more, the SZ-31MR can now record movies and stills at high frame rates or play back photo slideshows with music and transition effects. Of course, its 24x wide optical zoom lens remains a mini-miracle of optical engineering. It outperforms all-comers in the lightweight travel-camera category, delivering beautiful close-ups and unparalleled flexibility in your choice of shot. The SZ-31MR is available from late March 2012 for €329.
Exceptional quality in every situation
The SZ-31MR is an extraordinary compact. Together with its outstanding 24x wide optical zoom lens (25-600mm*), new iHS technologies give it the power and versatility to capture movies and stills in superb blur-free quality, often at the same time. iHS draws on Olympus’ 16-Megapixel backlit CMOS sensor and two separate TruePic V image processors (originally developed for D-SLR cameras) to dramatically improve low-light performance, speed up camera response and enhance scene and subject recognition. Combined with high-speed sequential shooting and high-speed autofocus, iHS cuts down picture noise and enhances resolution and colour gradation with fast-moving subjects, night scenes and other tricky shots. Multi motion Movie IS and Dual Image Stabilisation all but eliminate blur, even when you’re walking and shooting at the same time. IS is crucial with macros or close-ups of inaccessible subjects, when even the slightest wobble might otherwise ruin stand-out shots that regular lightweight compacts, with their weaker zoom lenses, simply can’t deliver.
Exceptional images in every format
When time is tight, Multi Recording and Multi Framing give you another big advantage: You never have to choose between capturing one-off scenes as a 1080 Full HD movie or still photo – nor as a close-up or broader shot. The SZ-31MR lets you do both. A simple tap on the bright 3-inch 920,000-dot LCD takes a photo while you’re filming. Or resets the point of focus, shutter speed and zoom factor – all without interrupting your movie recording. The touch-sensitive screen also gives you direct access to Live Guide, which in i-Auto mode displays a sliding scale that you can move with your finger to adjust key parameters such as brightness and depth of field. You can check the effect of your changes in real time before you capture the scene.
Given its stylish, ultra-compact design and category-defining performance, the SZ-31MR is excellent value at €329. It goes on sale in late March 2012.
- 24x wide optical zoom (25-600mm*) for exceptional close-ups
- iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want irrespective of shooting conditions
- 16-Megapixel backlit CMOS sensor for high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints, even in low light
- Multi-motion Movie IS for recording 1080p Full HD Movie with sound with reduced blur while walking, in the best image quality currently available in compact cameras
- Dual Image Stabilisation for reducing blur with fast-moving shots
- Super-resolution Zoom for digitally extending the range of the optical zoom with virtually no loss of image quality
- Ultra-compact, lightweight, full-metal body for an exquisite and robust design
- 3” touch-sensitive colour LCD (920,000 dots) for easily framing, reviewing and sharing shots, or operating key features
- Touch Shutter for focussing on the subject you touch on the LCD and taking the picture automatically
- Touch AF for focussing automatically on the subject you touch, even if it moves
- Smart Panorama for capturing sweeping stills just by panning the camera
- HDR Backlight Adjustment for perfectly exposed pictures of inanimate objects even when shooting against the light
- Handheld Starlight Mode for shooting blur-free at night without a tripod
- Face Detection and Advanced Shadow Adjustment Technology for capturing people’s faces just as you want them
- Live Guide for easy slide-bar adjustment of key settings in real time, including background blur, colour intensity, colour temperature and brightness
- Pet Detection Mode for automatically capturing dog’s or cat’s faces when they look at the camera
- Advanced Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto) and AF Tracking for easy setting and focussing
- Scene Mode for automatic settings that suit specific conditions (e.g., Landscape, Night)
Creativity & Flexibility:
- Multi Recording with Dual Engine TruePic V image processor for recording movies and photos simultaneously, or two movies in different modes or from different angles
- High-speed movie capture and high-speed sequential shooting (10fps/12 images at 16MP or 60fps/75 images at 3MP for instance)
- Multi-Effect Slideshow for hands-free browsing of shots from one event with background music and transition effects
- Beauty Make-up Mode for adding fun make-up effects to three people and hiding blemishes before you shoot
- Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
- 3D photo shooting mode for striking stills
- Magic Filters for adding creative effects to Full HD movies and/or stills: Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle (photos only), Watercolour, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented (photos only), Dramatic (photos only)
- Photo with Movie Clip for shooting movies while taking still photos
Other key features:
- Photo surfing and [ib] software for browsing, organising and viewing images by person, place, location or event
- HDMI technology for controlling your camera from one remote when it’s connected to HD equipment
- ISO 80 to 6400
- SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible**, including UHS-I support
- Built-in flash
- In-camera help guide
- USB charging
* 35mm camera equivalent.
** SD is a trademark of SD Card Association.
For feature descriptions, please see the online appendix.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Olympus Europa Holding GmbH